Community Initiatives Program
Community Initiatives Program (CIP) funds initiatives that enhance and enrich communities throughout Alberta. The program:
- Reinvests revenues generated from provincial lotteries to communities
- Empowers local citizens and community organizations to work together
- Responds to local needs
In order to better address the specific or unique needs of community-based organizations, four distinct funding streams within CIP have been created:
An organization can only submit one application per fiscal year for:
- a capital project per fiscal year through either the Community Facility Enhancement Program (CFEP) or the Community Initiatives Program (CIP) Project-Based.
- a non-capital project per fiscal year. Organizations should apply under the specific program stream that is best suited for their project.
- an Alberta Canada 150 grant and also be considered for another non-capital project during fiscal 2016-17 and 2017-18.
The following organizations and community nonprofit organizations who are registered (and in good standing) under one of the following Acts are eligible to apply
for funding under the CIP.
- Agriculture Societies Act
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act - Extra-Provincial Corporations*
- Cemeteries Act or Cemetery Companies Act
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Nonprofit Companies)
- Libraries Act
- School Act
- Societies Act of Alberta
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Special Act of the Parliament of Canada*
- Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act**
- Income Tax Act (of Canada and operating in the Province of Alberta [Charities])*
- First Nations and Métis Settlements
- Foundations established and regulated under the province's Regional Health Authorities Act
- Universities, colleges and institutes as defined under Alberta's Post-secondary Learning Act
* Must have an Alberta based address which must be regularly monitored by an active member of the organization.
Last reviewed/revised: May 4, 2017